2.18.2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Today is your lucky day! My friend Angela gave me this recipe and I made it...and loved it! MUCH easier than other Sweet & Sour Chicken recipes I've tried (and much lower in fat as well!)

Sweet & Sour Chicken
1 Tbs. Veg. Oil (OR, you can just spray your pan)
1 lbs. chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
3 C. Veggies (Bell Pepper, Carrots, Tomatoes, Celery, Onion, etc.)
1 8-oz. Can Pineapple Chunks, drained (Save the juice)
Rice & Chow Mein Noodles

Instructions:
Heat Wok over High Heat. Add Oil.
Add Chicken; stir fry about 3 minutes or until no longer pink in the center. Add Veggies (If you're adding onions, I would add them first for a bit longer than the rest - unless you like your onions crisp-tender like the rest of the veggies); stir fry veggies about 2 minutes or until crisp-tender (I did this a little bit longer than 2 minutes...maybe more like 5). Stir in pineapple and sweet and sour sauce (se below) ; cook 1 minute.\

Angela uses the canned Sweet & Sour Sauce and I totally would have myself if I could find some! I did come across this recipe online somewhere and wrote it down...I used it for this and it tasted fabulous! (Usually every sweet & sour recipe I try does NOT turn out yummy)

Sweet & Sour Sauce:
1/2 C. Vinegar (I used white)
1/3 C. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 C. Orange Juice (I didn't have Orange juice, so I used what pineapple juice I had left and topped it off with water)
1/4 C. Pineapple Juice (I just used the juice from the can of pineapples)
1/4 C. Ketchup
2 Tbs. Cornstarch

This will be runny but will turn out fabulous. When you add your sauce to the chicken and veggies and cook for a few minutes, the sauce will thicken...delightful! (In fact, I'm eating my leftovers right now!)

No comments: