3.23.2011

French Onion Soup

There is something so delicious and wonderful about this soup. My husband, who hates onions, even likes it. This recipe was fast and easy.

To make it even easier, instead of sticking the whole soup bowl in the oven I just put the baguette slices covered in cheese on a cookie sheet and put that in the oven. That probably helped it be a little healthier as well because I don't know about you, but I have a weakness for cheese and tend to engulf my soup bowl with it before sticking it in the oven.

French Onion Soup

1 Tablespoon butter
5 medium onions ( a mix of yellow and red)
1/2 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
6 cups beef broth
4 or 5 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
Freshly cracked pepper

Sourdough baguette bread, sliced
1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese (I also used jalapeno monterey jack cheese, which was divine)

Heat the butter in a large pot over low heat. Add the onion and salt. Cover the ot and cook over low heat until very soft, about 30 minutes.

Add the bay leaves, broth, and thyme. Simmer on low heat for at least 15 minutes. Season with pepper. Discard the bay leaves.

Preheat the broiler. Divide the soup among 4 oven-proof bowls. Top each with a slice of baguette and cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 minutes.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

A great addition to my collection. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait ti try this especially for my family.

Tara said...

Jess. This looks fabulous! I'm not a huge onion fan either but if Ryan likes it than I know I will too! Can't wait to make it.