9.27.2009

Chocolate-Chip Zucchini Bread

My friend brought me over some zucchini from her over-abundant garden. So I hopped-to it and made some zucchini bread. I got this recipe from Rookie Cookie {I love her recipes!}, but I was worried her recipe would be TOO chocolaty for me {yes, there is such a thing as being too chocolaty} so I took out the cocoa in her recipe. But I do love the chocolate chips. And since it is made from a vegetable it is healthy for you. Right?

Just let me think that, ok?



Chocolate-Chip Zucchini Bread

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Set oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9x5 inch bread pans. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves and whisk to combine. Set aside.

In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. While the machine is running, drizzle in the oil. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add the vanilla to the buttermilk. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the beaten butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 parts, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. Fold the zucchini and chocolate chips into the batter. Divide the batter between the bread pans. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans before unmolding and slicing.

{Adapted from Rookie Cookie}

No comments: