4.14.2010

Texas Whopper Cake


This is my favorite chocolate cake. Maybe because it is my mom's recipe. I don't know. But every time I make it, I fall in love all over again. And guess what? I'm not that big of a chocolate fan! I know. Crazy, but true.
Texas Whopper Cake
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup water
4 T. cocoa
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp soda
In large bowl, put sugar, flour, and salt. In heavy pan bring butter, water and cocoa to a boil. Take cocoa mixture from heat as soon as it boils. Add immediately to dry ingredients and stir well. Add sour cream, eggs, and soda, mixing in one at a time until well blended (batter will be very thin.) Bake in a greased pan at 375 for 25 minutes (I usually bake it in a 9x13 pan. This time I tried two 8" pans and the cook time was about the same). Make frosting while cake is baking and frost immediately after cake is removed from oven.
Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
6 T. canned milk (evaporated)
3 3/4 cup powdered sugar
4 T. cocoa
Boil milk, butter, and cocoa in heavy pan until bubbly. Stir in sugar and vanilla one at a time until well blended and smooth. Spread over hot cake.


No comments: