3.26.2009

Honey Lime Enchiladas

(Photo and recipe courtesy of mykitchencafe.blogspot.com)
I REALLY wish I had a picture of these but Gary has the camera with him at work today. Well, I was on the main dish for lunch group today and was on the hunt for something new. I came across this recipe for Enchiladas. I'm a VERY picky enchilada eater and DO NOT like the saucy type, I'm more of the dry enchilada eater BUT, this post had 41 comments on it and half of them were from people who had already made them and came back to comment on how delicious they were. I had to try them and they did not disappoint. These will be made again in my home!
I'm posting the recipe as I made them...I made a few minor changes to the original recipe:

6 Tbs. honey (I think I actually used about 7)
5 Tbs. lime juice (I used it from a bottle but fresh would be divine!)
1 Tbs. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1 lb. chicken, cooked and shredded
8-10 flour tortillas (Um, Costco ones are the BOM.COM!)
1 lb. pepper jack cheese, shredded
16 oz. green enchilada sauce (straight from New Mexico-or if you don't have that luxury, then whatever will be fine)
1 C. heavy cream (or, you could use sour cream if you wanted to make a lighter version)
Mix first four ingredients together and toss with shredded chicken. I put chicken and mixture in a zip-lock baggy overnight to let it season up real nice. Pour about 1/2 C. enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Strain the chicken saving the sauce. Fill flour tortilla (after you've cooked them, of course) with chicken and shredded cheese, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and marinade. Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top.

Notes: I think I might even consider making more marinade next time I made it and might even use more honey. These were delicious but I think I'd like a little stronger sweet flavor. Also, I didn't end up pouring the ENTIRE remains of the enchilada sauce on top because I didn't want it to be totally soupy. BUT, do as you wish. Just make sure you MAKE these! They are so yummy!

No comments: