3.13.2009

Sloppy-Joes

Sloppy Joes has got to be one of the most unappetizing names for a food. Doesn't make me want to make it...but take my word for it, this recipe is YUMMY.

Every once in awhile when I bake bread I set aside some dough to do scones that night. To go along with the honey-butter dessert scones I make Sloppy Joe filling and fill some scones with it to make a complete meal.

Most recipes I have used leave something to be desired - but this was really good and easy and didn't need to simmer for 2 hours! Bonus.

  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 3 teaspoons brown sugar
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

  1. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
  2. Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
NOTES: I didn't have enough ketchup, so I substituted some barbecue sauce and left out the brown sugar. I also added a little bit of water to make it a little more saucy.

{Recipe found on Allrecipes.com}

No comments: