1.19.2009

Lion House Rolls

Steph: Every time I make these (like I did yesterday) I remember how you LOVED these. I love them too. And I really like that they don't seem to take as much time and work as other recipes I've made. I make these at least once a week. The best part about these buns is that they store very well and taste so fresh even 2, 3, 4, etc. days after I make them! So, even though there is only two of us, I use them for Gary's lunches, and basically we have them with every meal until they're gone...and then I make them again!

Here's how you make them...
Ingredients:
2 C. Warm Water (115 Degrees)
2/3 C. Nonfat Dry Milk (instant or non-instant)
2 Tbs. Dry Yeast
1/4 C. Sugar
2 tsp. Salt
1/3 C. Butter (I actually use oil)
1 Egg
5-5 1/2 C. Flour (I use bread flour but either will work fine)
Directions:
In the large bowl of an electric mixer, combine the water and the milk powder and stir so the milk dissolves. Add the yeast to this mixture, then the sugar, salt, butter, egg, and 2 cups of the flour. Mix on low speed until ingredients are wet, then turn to medium speed and mix for 2 minutes. Stop the mixer and add 2 more cups of flour then mix on low until the ingredients are wet then turn to medium and mix for 2 minutes. The dough will be getting stiff and you may need to mix the remaining flour in by hand. Add approximately 1/2 cup of flour and mix again. The dough should be soft, not overly sticky, and not stiff. (It is no necessary to use the entire amount of flour. AND you may even need more...I actually use closer to 6.5 cups of flour but it may have something to do with the elevation I'm at). Continue adding flour 1/2 cup at a time until it gets to the right texture.

Scrap the dough off the sides of the bowl and pour approximately one Tbs. of oil all around the sides of the bowl. Turn the dough over in the bowl so it is covered with the oil. (This helps prevent the dough from drying out). Cover with a clean dish towel and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size.
Spray your counter with vegetable oil and remove dough from bowl. Divide dough in two. Gently flatten to about 1 inch thick. With rolling pin, roll our to a rectangle about 12 inches long, 8 inches wide, and 1/4 inch thick. Brush with melted butter (I don't always do this). With pizza cutter, cut dough in half to make two strips about 4 inches wide. Make cute through strips of dough every 2 inches, making about 12 pieces of dough.
Starting with the short, narrow end, roll up one piece of dough, with butter on the inside. Place roll on pan with the other short end facing down (I use my stone and it works FABULOUS!) . Repeat with remaining pieces of dough. Be sure all rolls face the same direction on the baking pan. Cover lightly with dish towel and allow to rise until double in size. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until light to medium golden brown. Brush tops or rolls with melted butter. Makes 2 dozen rolls.
Helpful Tips:
*Always add flour gradually and keep dough as soft as you can handle. A soft dough will produce a much lighter roll.
* It is not necessary to use the entire amount of flour called for in the recipe - add only enough flour to make dough manageable.

No comments: