2.07.2008

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Today I was in desperate need of a comfort food, so I baked one of my nostalgic favorites.

OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES

1/2 cup Water
1 cup Sugar
1 Egg
2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 cup Nuts (optional)
1 cup Raisins
3/4 cup Shortening
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 cups Oatmeal

Add water to raisins and boil for 5 minutes. Let cool. Beat together sugar and shortening. Add egg and beat well. Then add vanilla, cooled raisin mixture and blend. Then add flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, oatmeal, and nuts. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.

Note: For a healthy option I substitute applesauce for at least half the shortening. It also makes the cookies lighter.

2 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Jess, nice job on putting this together! I'm always at work when I look at blogs and I don't have recipes here but one of these days I'll get on at home and add some.

Tara Fears said...

I'm loving this! I just want to make EVERY recipe that everyone posts on here! :)