2.27.2008

Sante Fe Chicken

Hey Girls! I LOVE recipes that I can make and then put half in the freezer to prepare later...two meals with one meals worth of work! It's FABULOUS! Anyhow, this one is great! I made this two nights ago and Gary loved it...we cleaned it up (well, the first half of it) for dinner last night! It's really easy too!

Ingredients:
3 c. cooked & chopped chicken (I just bought one of those rotisserie chickens and used that!)
1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can black-eyed peas, drained
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained
1 (12 oz.) can Ro-Tel tomatoes*
1 (15 oz) jar picante sauce
1 T. Chili Powder (if you prefer less spice, use less)
2 t. Cumin
1 C. Shredded cheddar cheese

*Ro-Tel is a brand of canned tomatoes with chopped chili peppers added. You'll find it by the Tomatoes in the grocery.

Assembly Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, corn, black beans, black-eyed peas, pinto beans, tomatoes, and picante sauce. Add the chili powder an cumin, stirring until evenly mixed.

Freezing Directions:
Put mixture in a one-gallon freezer bag (or I sometimes use the tin 9 x 9 pans too). Put the shredded cheddar in a quart freezer bag. Seal, label and freeze both bags. (I didn't freeze my cheese, I figure "WHO doesn't have cheese?" - I'll just grate up some cheese when I take this baby out to thaw!

Serving Directions:
Thaw both bags, if frozen. Pour chicken mixture into a spray-treated 9"x 13" pan (or if you're halfing it like I did, 9"x 9"). Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until heated through. Remove foil. Top with shredded cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

I served it over brown rice and it was fabulous!!! (I should have taken a picture of it eh? I'll try to remember to do that from now on)

No comments: